A natural gas leak occurred in the Chadstone shopping mall in Melbourne this morning, and some stores were closed.

Some shop assistants in the shopping mall have been evacuated in an emergency. Emergency rescuers blocked Dandenong Rd between Chadstone and Warrigal roads, and then began to check leaks to prevent the further spread of natural gas.

Natalie Webster, spokesperson for Metropolitan Fire Brigade, said that firefighters received an alarm at around 10:35, stating that there was a strong smell of natural gas in the store.

The leaking gas pipeline is in the southwestern part of the parking lot of the Chadstone shopping mall. 1500 people in the shopping center were forced to evacuate. A spokesperson for the shopping center said that evacuation is a preventive measure. "The safety of guests and employees is always the most important."

The gas leak also affected the surrounding traffic, resulting in the forced closure of Dandenong Rd.

20140926124345_51879

Herald Sunlogo-40x402

News link:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/gas-leak-forces-shoppers-to-be-evacuated-from-chadstone/story-fni0fit3-1227071416248